RETAIL & B2C SOLUTIONS
Better UX design and a forward-thinking B2C custom commerce architecture created market-defining customer experiences for TELUS Mobility.
Consumer habits and needs are continuously evolving. Retail & B2C organizations need to be able to adapt quickly.
A flexible, scalable ecommerce platform will make acting on consumer demands simpler, faster and more agile. Improved sales will come from:
- Streamlined customer experience across all digital channels.
- Improved data flow to get marketing teams the right insights at the right time.
- Continuous innovation and improvement of integrated systems.
Our work with TELUS Mobility started with a project to replace their old static HTML website over a decade ago, and convert their ecommerce system to a more effective, responsive, flexible decoupled platform. Read on to find out how we helped Telus win the Canada Post E-Commerce Innovation Award for Best Mobile Experience and build a platform capable of handling iPhone pre-sales that crashed competitors’ websites.
Connecting customer account information, billing details, promotions and the newest product offerings all in one seamless experience is the best-in-class experience expectation.
Imagine the missed opportunities when your customer’s online billing isn’t connected to your latest promotions, and you can’t quickly or easily get this information in front of them.
This is how the commerce architecture redesign started for TELUS Mobility, Canada’s second-largest telecommunications company.
To address their desire for a seamless customer experience, market agility and complete ownership over their platform, TELUS Mobility had to look beyond an out-of-the-box solution to a more flexible, less constrictive solution. These needs created an opening to benefit from the most customizable option out there: open source architecture.
Report – Eight essential ecommerce trends for retail & B2C
Based on our independent analysis of more than 100 leaders in the B2C and retail ecommerce space, these trends highlight how development, experience design, and content management systems are the primary tools used to gain a competitive edge.
What TELUS Mobility wanted to achieve from a decoupled solution.
They knew what their customers wanted in an online experience:
- A seamless and intuitive connection between new products, promotions, billing and account management.
And they understood their business objectives:
- Develop an adaptive, responsive commerce platform that allowed them to respond decisively and quickly to changing market intelligence.
- Increase market share.
The challenge was designing a solution that met all internal stakeholder’s (accounting, marketing, logistics, IT, C-suite) needs and enhancing their customers' experience.
TELUS Mobility wanted:
- A secure, agile and flexible platform they could control.
- A seamless customer experience, from billing and account management to shopping and promotions.
- To own all the code and manage all the data in-house to avoid vendor lock.
- Data sovereignty for strict regulatory compliance.
- The new platform to accommodate and communicate with all existing homebrew applications.
- Scalability during high traffic times.
- The ability to break the build into phases.
- A detailed, cohesive plan to migrate the new platform into space without downtime or service disruption to their customers.
Breaking free from a proprietary platform and gaining the tools to scale and integrate across the business.
Groundbreaking headless commerce architecture solutions, supported by our Agile principle-backed development process built for continuous improvement.
- Uncover and accommodate the needs of all stakeholders.
- Visually diagram the new digital workflow and server architecture.
- Map data from existing systems to the new architecture.
- Identify the purpose of individual modules: which would be used, and which needed to be custom-built.
- Pinpoint software components to be rebuilt, replaced, or maintained and connected.
- Detailed UX and technical blueprint.
- Security and data sovereignty planning.
- Internal and external QA.
An effective, responsive, and flexible decoupled system that increased usability to deliver an overall better customer experience and increased sales.
The new headless architecture allowed TELUS Mobility to:
- Process thousands of orders each month.
- Handle more than 100 server transactions per second.
- Execute tactical marketing strategies at will, with total control.
- Effectively integrate all existing homebrew applications.
- Manage all data in-house.
- Increase flexibility and scalability during seasonal high-traffic times.
“I actually found the end-to-end purchasing process insanely clear and easy, and I congratulate TELUS in creating such a smooth customer experience.”
Voice of the client, TELUS
As launch day approached this open-source architecture was put to the test:
Let's talk about your project
No matter what stage you are in, we would love to talk to you about your project. No pressure, no obligation, just straight talk and helpful insight.